APPBuilder is a tool that can drastically increase your Hollywood multimedia language productivity, infact with APPBuilder you can compile and pack your cross-platform project with a single click without bothering with long shell commands.
In a standard environment, if you will to target multiple platforms and you are using plugins, you would have to build your executables and manually you have to pack them including the right plugin for every target OS. This process can lead to mistakes, copying the wrong plugin or putting it in the wrong folder. If you are building your applications for multiple platforms this utility is a must have!
This application let you choice for which target platforms you want to build, you set up your main source and which Hollywood plugins your application needs, and you are done: APPBuilder will manage for you all the boring things like copying the correct plugin version in the correct target platform folder.
But that’s not all because APPBuilder can manage for you your application resources, just tell APPBuilder which resources must be included with your application and it will copy all of them in the right folders, including MacOSX application boundles! Yes Mac .app bundles will be managed by APPBulder with no efforts from the user.
APPBuilder can also manage external data: with external data I mean data that must be included with your distribution but that is not essential and should be placed outside the main application folder.
Think about a “readme” file, or documentation files : setting these files as external APPBuilder will copy them inside the build folder but outside the application folder, this is especially useful for MacOSX applications because external files will be placed outside the application boundle and so will be easily accessible by the final users.
One more thing that APPBuilder can do is to create for you a zipped archive ready to be distributed, it uses 7zip so you must have it on your system to use this feature or, at least, you should have a similar program that uses the same command line arguments of 7zip.
APPBuilder has been developed because of my personal needs: compiling for all platform (when possible) supported by Hollywood it’s not easy, especially when come the time to compile the application and build the distribution packages.
You have to make extreme attention to copy the right data in the right folders for each targeted platform, and for each target you have to provide the right plugins if your application makes use of them.
Yes, you could wirte a build script, but if you have many projects like me, writing scripts for each projects is something I personally hate 🙂
APPBuilder resolves almost all these kind of problems, you define a project source code, which plugins it needs, for which targets you want to compile for, application resources and external data, save this project and you are done!
When you change your source code and want to build again just open APPBuilder, load the previously saved project and hit the BUILD button: isn’t it simple and time saving enough?
APPBuilder is available only in english at this time and it has been tested under Windows 10, please try it on your system before buying.
LICENSE, DOWNLOAD, BUY OPTIONS
Please visit the official AppBuilder web page for detailed informations.
21/10/2017 : Version 2.0 released
- Updated to Hollywood 7 and added all supported target platforms
- Updated all plugins and added all missing ones
- Now APPBuilder remembers the last used projects folder
- Platform targets are now defined using an external plain text file instead of being hardcoded
- Due to Hollywood 7 update now also APPBuilder offers full support to UTF-8 encoding.
10/09/2016 : Updated to version 1.3
- Updated all available plugins to their latest versions
- Added support for HHTP Streamer. RapaGUI and Plananarama plugins
- Added a way to keep updated the application with the addition of the [update] button
- Reduced package size
- At first run the application will download all needed files and plugins from a remote position, this was needed to keep easy to manage updates and to reduce my hosting space needs, but also to provide you an easy way to keep the application updated.
- Fixed minor bugs.
16/09/2015 : Updated to version 1.2
- Updated all available plugins, Added support for GLGalore plugin, Fixed minor bugs.
04/05/2015 : Updated to version 1.1
- Fixed a critical bug that was preventing the build process for source and/or destination paths containing spaces.